Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Clash of the Designers

Oh yeahhhh. This is totally fresh & new, just came out from the oven.

My part time job is part of my life now, handling many things at once. I do more than just one position person does. But I'm not complaining coz I'm all in for it.

- compositing/animating in Maya, SwishMax, After Effects. NO CHARACTERS INVOLVED. Just 2d/3d objects, texts, images..blablabla. So, I have done 3D logo animations, Digital Signage TVCs, motion graphics.

- modeling out logos in Maya. That's for 3d logo animations.

- I do graphic design work too. I still have plenty of love for graphic design, just like how I am back in form 3 :). So I have done logo designs, brochures, buntings, contract forms. blablabla, all that you can do as a graphic designer.

- I have interest in Website too. And lucky me, I have the chance to design the layout but the rest is up to the real web designer. 3 websites so far.

All-rounder? Multi-designer? I honestly don't know but I enjoy my work. Planning to go full-time by September. Now just part timer, making small money. But enough for me to go for Sushi Zanmai & shopping. hahahaha!

Wanna know something? I just had a real first issue at work. Apa itu...Politic? You can call it whatever you want. Before I came into this company, I was told that their not-nice-website design is done by this one web designer. We shall call him Webbie.

I was given the task to re-design and continue designing all the sub-agencies websites' layout. I didn't ask for it, no intention. But I did tell myself that, if I was given a chance to revamp the ugly design, I would. It was an eyesore. No, more like embarrassing our company's image. The colour scheme is not really suitable. Non-artistic person can tell its not nice too okay?

So, my task is to design the layout of the websites and make sure its cut-able. My partner is the one in charge of the content. Files will be sent to Webbie whenever its done.

To cut the story short, he has been delaying the work, no progress to be seen. He never bother to contact us for any assistance. Tonight is the dateline for the websites to be uploaded. I have one swf file to be sent to him via my sister(she is also the partner to deal with Webbie). My sister called him on the phone to let him know about the email.

Here comes drama.

Somehow, he was asking something and my sister have no choice but to pass on to me since I designed it. When I admit that I'm the layout designer, wow he says all the most beautiful words ever. Here's the weapons that insulted me & partners.

- Why are all your layout designs not consistent? (3 sub-websites under one main page)
- Your video(motion graphic) is crap.
- Don't you all work together as a team?
- You know I'm only free to do this work at night?
- Now you go and convert the flv file to swf file and send it back to me.
- That's the point, you guys don't work together, sending me files bit by bit only.
- See who's the one really screwed up now?

It amazes me how he tries to lash it all out on me and partners. How not professional. Its a shame that he tries to push the blame on us when he was the one delaying and not contacting us to get updated. Its always us who will always call him, bug him, push him to make sure he does his work. He was being irresponsible. He never even check what we typed out in the emails we sent to him. Always never fail to make mistakes.

Its shocking enough to hear him complaining about the layout inconsistency. My boss wanted a different approach for each sub-website because its all from different category. My boss approves 100% of all the web layouts that I designed. So dear Webbie, I think you should just shut up and do your work. The designs are not in your hands anymore. Don't lash it all out on us when you are rushing tonight.

Oh wait. Maybe he is just pissed that I took over part of his job?

Nice word, Webbie. He said my motion graphic is "crap". No other better word for a designer to give a constructive criticism? And by the way, its not even in your field to do motion graphic so don't complain about my "crappy" motion graphic. As long as my boss & partners liked it. You only need to use it as the intro, and again, it has nothing to do with you when it comes to layout designs.

So adorable. I have my very first clash with this Webbie. I didn't really argue with him, because I do not want to be like him. 2 kali 5. Buat apa...

I choose to defend my side at certain parts only. Let him say all he wants because I'm going to bring this up to my boss. Seriously, I do not want to work with this outsource Webbie anymore.

Can we seriously get a proper web designer? One who can choose the right colour for websites? One who knows how to be profesional at work? One who knows how to respect each other?

I was told that my boss liked my work. Im happy enough. But I cannot tolerate anymore with Webbie. This is going to be the first and last clash, I hope. I'm planning to tell my boss that I'm gonna give up on the websites and let him take back the damn job, since he is throwing tantrum already.

My work is too crappy for a crappy designer like him. :)

Its so not nice when you are a designer and you do not know the right way to communicate with other designers. Tak mau la aku kerjasama ngan kamu.

If I were you, I would have tell you off on the phone, how much I "adore" your beautiful choice of colour! And owh, your designs too. Woohoo!

Let's be nice and endure this pain first. Its all in my boss' hand too. Told this to Joe Darling, and my partners involved in this website design.

No comments: