Saturday, February 20, 2010

Honey, Thai is not English, not BM, not Cantonese.

My Mama speaks Thai and her English is hahahah. But its okay, I love laughing at her silly mistakes when she tries so hard to speak in English. She always speaks Thai to me. That's how I learn. But I speak Malaysianised-Thai. I put -LAH at the back of my sentence.

But I learn how to curse in Thai thanks to my grandma. She cursed many bad words. LOL! Cool right?

As we all know, certain words in English sometimes can bring another meaning in another language. Tak faham apa aku ckp? Nah, examples.

Key is an English word, but did you know if you happen to speak Thai and say the word KEY, it means SHIT?
Oleh yang demikian, Key is Shit in Thai language.

Lecturer : So you must set the key at the right keyframe. (animation class)
I laughed in my heart when I hear my animation lecturer "curse"..

Anyway, Mama is the best example ever :

When I say MAWI, she changed it to a bad name since she don't like him.
Ma Wing. Direct translation : Anjing Wing.
Sorry Mawi fanatics! I prefer Faizal Tahir.

For me, I go through some difficulties too. People think I cursed or saying something bad when I speak Thai to my mum.
Here's the situation :

Papa was trying to reverse the van. We are all inside the van.
Mama : Kharp Oc Dai Mai?
[can drive out or not?]
Me : Dai lah! *looking out of the window*
[can lah]
kebetulan, got some Malay people walked past our van. they looked at me. I wondered why. then I realised that I accidentally told them to "DIE LA" while looking out the window.

Last night, at Kapar, Mama was cursing accidentally again. The fishes were expensive. She is not happy with the expensive price and she said this to the seller... "Ma hai la!"

My mama obtained her MyPR already yet still struggling to speak in BM. Mahal can be Mahai. You rock, MAMA!

If you know what is cibai, you should know what is Mahai in Cantonese right? Go google! Jangan jadi bodoh.

No comments: