Before I start, you better read this:
Look, I'm not a professional designer or what YET, and once again, I'm going to blast it off right here about the wonderful, precious beacon 2008. Why I bother so much? because it used to be part of my main interest in school. It is Beacon that showed me what I really love, what are my potentials. And if you don't like me review, that is your problem. It is just too bad your eyes are not my eyes, get it? He He. Yeah, I sound serious about it. I'm serious with things that is part of me.
The moment I open the door I saw the mag on the chair and I was screaming out, not joyfully but in pain. The cover was the reason. It has pretty nice, girly, flowery design but the colour wasn't the right choice, somehow. Feels slightly dull. The font for "Sekolah Menengah......bla bla bla" was acceptable but sadly, wrong gradient colour was applied to it. Perhaps it will look much better in plain black, #000000. It is a tradition, a style in fact to put the word BEACON with school logo on top. It was well-maintained since 2005, but not 2008. And what the hell man, it is now gradient-ed! But then again, I still remember helping around after I left school. When I stressed out on maintaining the style, one particular teacher didn't agree with me. So I can't blame the designer as well. It is just too bad when you have people who do not want to accept things that is better off. Sometimes, too old-fashioned can kill too, if you know what I mean. But I was thankful to have Pn. Roslina as our E.B teacher, so are the rest.
The fonts are another painful sight as well. People, please don't get so excited with the downloaded fancy fonts. NOT ALL FANCY FONTS ARE GOOD FOR THE MAG! Hard to read and to make things worst, gradient colour was added on. Wanna know which disasterous pages that I'm talking about? Here it is:
1. School Song
2. Wawasan & bla bla bla page (could have been nice if they choose proper font and put aside the gradient!)
3. Koko Day page
...and still more to come, if I really wanna go through each page.
Photographs; why some are in low quality? So blur, might as well don'y put the pics in. Example page: Prefects' installation page.
OMG! It seems to me that these people are so in love with emboss effect & gradient man. Why must emboss everything?????!!!
The plaster/tape sticking effect of sporthouse's pic at each corner is not working. Sorry, it's more like the plaster for injuries. Haha. probably because of each coner of the pic is sharp. :P
Enough of the bad sights. Positive comments? Oh, a few only. I like the simplicity design from the Upper 6 Arts's page. But then, I doubt it is E.B Graphic Dept's work. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also like the divider of Graduation Class; which is the grafity approach. It was a good attempt to put the flowers and all in many pages, but sad to say the flowers can't save the mag's reputation in terms of it's appeal. And do the graphic dept even plan or have an idea what is their theme? Without theme, you go too freestyle, and that leads to disasterous mixed up design. Stop confusing people. Since they have the floral design, I might wanna guess that the possible or merely the chosen theme was floral itself? But it is still a disaster la.
I wish I could turn back time and experience each moment of working for MGSKL's Editorial Board 2006. It was both sweet and sour memories, but worth it. I wish I do not have to be a current student there just to get myself involved. Well, I was happy when Pn. Supiah called me for help to guide the juniors. But then, it wasn't enough. I know I'm busy enought but then again, this is my road of passion. I love designing! That's why you got to know why I complain alot when I see things that I used to do goes wrong. In fact I do wish to be in E.B for the whole of 5 years in MGSKL. But we all know it is impossible. I wish my sister have the same passion like I do and at least I can guide her for this school mag.
But do not forget. Sometimes, it is depending on who is your teacher because some teachers don't like what you like. And sad-but-true to say that not all teachers have a good sense of design or colour, unless they are art teachers(which can assure ppl that they know this much better!). I'm not trying to insult anyone but this is the fact that some people just don't see it.
Another thing is, some people just do not have the passion and they join E.B for the sake of testimonial. What's pissing me the most is when they have no absolute interest in graphic but they choose to get their asses in there. And then join along to create a disasterous design. Get off the place if you can't handle the stress and designing! But there are people who love these, but no idea or no skills. This is why sometimes, disasterous design can occur too. To me, it is better to have the idea, rather than showing off on how good you are in photoshop or illustrator, knowing each freaking shortcut and effects. It is pointless, don't you think so?
2 comments:
Take a bow with Rihanna in KL next month
GET your umbrellas out because the R&B ''girl gone bad'' Rihanna will be in Kuala Lumpur for a one-night only performance on Feb 13 at Stadium Putra, Bukit Jalil.
The concert, dubbed Rihanna Live In KL 2009, is part of the 20 year-old's Good Girl Gone Bad tour promoting her chart-topping third album of the same name.
The album has yielded such hits as Umbrella, Don't Stop The Music and Take A Bow.
Her worldwide tour consists of three legs with 61 shows and has run for more than six months, starting in Canada.
She has had a slew of top-notch supporting acts throughout the tour including Akon, Ciara, David Jordan and Chris Brown.
Rihanna, who was born in Barbados, attracted the attention of hip-hop mogul Jay-Z after he heard her demo tape.
Jay-Z signed her up with his label Def Jam in 2004.
Rihanna Live In KL 2009 is organised by Pineapple Concerts and tickets are already on sale.
Tickets are priced at RM128, RM158, RM198, RM288 and RM328. Showtime is at 8.30pm,
For more information, visit www.axcess.com.my or call 03-7711 5000.
omg! teringat kt poster rihanna aku duh! but my tickets were more expensive la. haha!
Post a Comment